This week one-pot recipes are on the menu. This dish is a quick nutritious meal with lots of vegetables (50%). One-pot yard long bean and sugarsnaps (mangetout) with parboiled brown rice and tempé.
Yard long bean
In the Wheel of Five, yard-long bean falls into the green legumes category. They also are long pods. With almost 50 cm in length, you where yard-long bean get its name. And why it is also known as the snake bean.
Yard-long bean is a versatile vegetable. The traditional preparation techniques for it are also very healthy. And those are sauteeing or steaming. Often combined with other vegetables such as potatoes (vegetable medley). Yard-long bean keeps in the fridge for a few days. And you can also freeze it.
Vegetable rice dish with tempé
Dinner, 2 servings
- 150 grams of parboiled brown rice (uncooked)
- 3 onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- or liquid fatproduct for baking, frying and roasting
- 150 grams of yard-long bean (1 small bundle)
- 250 grams sugar snap (mangetout)
- 150 grams of tempé
- Slice the tempé. Marinate the tempé, beforehand or whilst preparing the rice.
- Cook the rice for 20 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil and fry the tempé brown.
- Fry the onion and garlic with a spoonful of liquid fat.
- Peel the onions and the garlic. Then finely chop.
- Clean the yard-long bean and cut into pieces.
- Add the yard-long bean with a splash of water and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Add the sugar snaps and cook for another 4 minutes.
- Mix the cooked rice with the vegetable medley.
- Serve the tempé with the rice.
- Little salt
- Extra herbs
- A marinade for the tempé
Nutritional value per person per serving:
|Energy (kcal)||Fat (g)||Saturated fat (g)||Protein (g)||Carbohydrates (g)||Fiber (g)||Salt (g)|
Complete the dinner with:
Low-calorie thirst quenchers. Choose beverages that contain less than 75 calories per glass or choose sliced fruit.
- Tea without sugar or herbal tea (using fresh herbs)
- Mocktails or low-alcohol beer
- Water with sliced fruit in a large jug or carafe
- Fruit such as slices of watermelon
*This dinner contains a minimum of 200 grams of vegetables, less than 10 grams of saturated fat and less than 700 calories (kcal) per single serving. It is prepared with liquid fats or low-fat margarine.
Brown rice often cooks in 40-50 minutes. Parboiled brown rice, like white rice, takes about 20-30 minutes to cook. This is because parboiled brown rice is pre-cooked.
Brown rice is the least processed and contains the most fiber. Parboiled rice is a processed variant that at the pre-cooking stage loses nutrients. It does retain the amount of fiber.
One last thing
This recipe is meant to inspire you. Use it as a basis to create your own recipe. Try it. You don’t have to follow it exactly. Choose what suits you best.
For help balancing the components and nutritional values, I can help you. Contact me and make an appointment.