This week opt for fish on your tortilla. And prepare the tortilla meal yourself. Without mealkits from the supermarket or ready made seasoning blends. These boxed mealkits are unnecessary. They require you to add all the main ingredients. And their content mostly consists of seasoning blends that are easy to make. Often these blends are heavily salt based. You can achieve a tastier dish with less salt, by adding fresh herbs and spices from your own pantry. How? Scroll down for nutritional advice.
Meat is often considered to be the topping for tortillas or tacos. For example, minced meat. By choosing fish and having it steamed or grilled, you are making healthier choices. Healthier than the (pan) fried fish and tortillas topped with minced meat. You can also opt for plant-based toppings such as mushrooms or beans in sauce.
Corn flour tortillas
Corn flour tortillas contain less salt and more fiber than flour tortillas. Use a dry plate or pan to grill or heat the tortillas, making them a healthier alternative to hard-shelll tacos and nachos (i.e. tortilla chips), both of which are fried.
Corn flour tortillas are available online in web shops that sell Mexican products. Or at lifestyle markets. And you will find corn tortillas in Dutch supermarkets more often .
Corn flour tortillas with grilled cod and grilled vegetable salad
Dinner, 2 servings
- 2 pieces of cod fillet
- alternatively choose: plant-based meat substitutes, such as two large Porto Bello mushrooms for grilling (tortilla de hongos)
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- chili flakes
- lime juice
- 1 ear of corn on the cob (cooked or steamed), halved
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 3 peppers, halved
- 4 tomatoes
- 4 Corn tortillas (diameter 15 cm)
- Make a marinade by mixing the: oil, chili flakes and lime juice
- Marinate the fish in half of the marinade
- Mix the other half with the vegetables
- Grill the vegetables
- Grill the fish untill brown on both sides.
- Heat the corn tortillas in a dry frying pan or on the grill plate.
- Keep the tortillas warm (and soft) in a tea towel.
- Serve the tortillas flat on the plate with the topping, salsas and extra leaf salad
- Little salt
- Extra herbs
- Salsas such as salsa verde
- Jalapeño peppers
- Lemon wedges
- Coriander leaves
Nutritional value per person per serving (without condiments):
|Energy (kcal)||Fat (g)||Saturated fat(g)||Protein (g)||Carbohydrates (g)||Fibre(g)||Salt(g)|
Complete the dinner menu with:
Low-calorie thirst quenchers. Choose beverages that contain less than 75 calories per glass or choose sliced fruit.
- Tea without sugar, herbal tea (using fresh herbs) or agua de jamaica (tea from hibiscus flowers)
- Mocktails or low-alcohol beer
- Agua fresca from fruit juice or pureed fruit with plenty of water. Add no to little sugar.
- Water with sliced fruit in a large jug or carafe
- Slices of watermelon
*This dinner contains a minimum of 200 grams of vegetables, a maximum of 10 grams of saturated fat and a maximum of around 700 calories (kcal) per serving. It is prepared with liquid fats or low-fat margarine.
Ready-made seasoning blends are often salt-based. You easily make them yourself without salt.
- With cumin powder (djinten), garlic powder, chili flakes and paprika powder you make a basic blend for Mexican dishes. See PuurGezond recipe (in Dutch): Hoe maak je Mexicaanse kruidenmix?
- Consult a herb pairings guide (kruidenwijzer) or the Nutrition Center (Voedingcentrum ) for inspiration. White fish, for example, pairs well with: lemon juice, garlic, parsley, celery and thyme.
Would you like to have steamed or grilled fish more often? And with a tropical twist? Then try fish prepared in banana leaf. There are many different fish in banan leaf dishes, such as Pescado tikin-xic from the Yucatán peninsula in Mexico. And other variaties from many other Tropical regions in Central America, the Caribbean islands, South America, Africa, Polynesia and Asia.
Two more things
This recipe is meant to inspire you. Use it as a basis to create your own recipe. Try it. You don’t have to follow it exactly. Choose what works best for you. For help balancing the components and nutritional values, I can help you. Contact me and make an appointment.
You can also get started during Sabor Sabor cooking workshops in Rotterdam. You will learn how to make an entire authentic Mexican menu yourself. You will make the corn tortillas and (tomato) salsa yourself. On the menu will also be, for example, a: Tortilla soup, Chicken with Mole Poblano sauce, Salad of Nopalitos (Cactus leaves) & a dessert of tortillas.