Eat fruit for lunch this week. This could also be something savoury. Like this fruit salad. The green papaya is the basis of this spicy, fresh and sour salad. It is possible to use a green mango or (extra) cucumber instead.
Papaya is often the sweet accompanying element of a dish, such as a fish, steak or chicken dish. The fruit salad recipe below, however, is all about the papaya itself. And as in Thailand, it uses green papaya in this salad.
This may not be papaya as you expect it. The flesh of this papaya is still white. It also has a crunchy texture. Ideal for grating or slicing like a green mango or cucumber. The flesh becomes orange and juicy as the papaya continues to ripen.
What makes this salad so spicy is the fresh chilipepper dressing. I recommend preparing the dressing first to control the salad’s sharpness.
Green papaya salad with carrot, tomato, chili pepper, crumbled peanuts and a fish sauce dressing
Lunch, 2 servings
- 200g of green papaya
- 50 g carrot (1 piece)
- ½ (200 grams) cucumber
- 1 Yard-long bean, cut into pieces (2 cm)
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ red chili pepper, in thin strips
- 1 tablespoon peanuts, chopped
- (fish sauce) dressing
- Clean the vegetables.
- Grate or cut the papaya, carrot and cucumber into thin strips. Use a mandolin or spiral cutter if necessary.
- Cut the tomato into pieces and the garter into pieces.
- Cut the red peppers into strips.
- Mix the dressing with the papaya, cucumber and carrot.
- Sprinkle the chopped peanuts and half of the red pepper over it.
Nutritional value per serving (without the dressing):
|Energy (kcal)||*Fat (g)||*Saturated fat (g)||Protein (g)||Carbohydrates (g)||Fiber (g)||Salt (g)|
*126 kcal, 10.3 g fat & 1.5 g saturated fat from the peanuts
Fish sauce dressing: Mix 1 tbsp fish sauce (or light soy sauce + 2 tbsp water), 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, ½ red chili pepper, 1 tbsp light brown sugar, 1 clove of garlic (chopped) and optionally ¼ bunch of chopped coriander
- Tip: A tablespoon of sambal trassi replaces the red pepper & fish sauce
- Tip: A tablespoon of sweet chili sauce replaces the sugar and pepper. Fresh chili pepper is recommended for sharpness. Remove the seeds if necessary.
Nutritional value per serving of dressing:
|Energiy (kcal)||Fat (g)||Saturated fat (g)||Protein (g)||Carbohydrates (g)||Fiber (g)||**Salt (g)|
**from the fishsauce
Create another type of spicy fruit salad, if you only have ripe fruits at home or at hand. A roedjak style (Indonesia) fruit salad, for example, with a slightly different dressing.
- Ripe papaya with coconut, ginger and a citrusfruit of choice.
- Mango and red onion. With fresh herbs such as coriander basil. And cucumber, radish from bell pepper.
- Pineapple, red pepper, cucumber and red onion.
Complete this lunch*** with:
- Low calorie drinks like water, fruitwater and tea without sugar.
***This lunch contains fruit and vegetables, a minimum of 5 grams of fiber per single portion, less than 10 grams of saturated fat and less than 600 calories (kcal). And is prepared with liquid fats or low-fat margarine.
One last thing
The aim is to inspire you with these recipes. To create your own recipe, use them as the basis. Experiment with them. You don’t have to follow them exactly. Choose what’s right for you.
Contact me for help with this. I can help you balance the components and nutritional value, keeping your goals in mind. Get in touch with me and make an appointment.