Create a vegetable breakfast is this week’s challenge. For example, choose to have: a breakfast salad or an avocado serving. Have your omelet or scrambled eggs with vegetables. Or choose classic toast-vegetables combinations. Such as toast with: fried mushrooms, baked beans or tomatoes (pan con tomate).
There are many vegetable spreads to choose from such as chickpea humus, sandwich spread, or this recipe for bell or piquillo pepper spread.
To top: (toasted) bread or cracker. Or as a dip for hard vegetables like cucumber.
By making the spreads yourself, you can make sure they contain even less fat, salt and sugar.
Vegetable spreads only keep for a couple of days in the fridge. When you’re making a lot of spread, you could set aside a portion of the batch as the basis for another dish. Think of soup or pesto.
Crispbread with vegetable spread
Breakfast, 2 servings
- 1 (100 grams) bell or Piquillo pepper, grilled and peeled
- 20 grams of sunflower seeds, roasted
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 4 slices of crispbread crackers
- Puree all cooled ingredients with a hand blender or in a mortar for a creamy texture.
- Serve with the crispbread.
- 1 teaspoon onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Extra vegetables as toppings such as cucumber slices
- Cheese or egg
Nutritional value per slice of crispbread and vegetable spread (without condiments/extra toppings):
|Energy (kcal)||Fat (g)||Saturated fat (g)||Protein (g)||Carbohydrates (g)||Fiber (g)||Salt (g)|
Complete the breakfast with:
- A piece or serving of fruit (about 3 grams of fiber)
- Low-calorie drinks:
- tea without sugar
- fruit water
* This breakfast contains vegetables, a minimum of 5 grams of fiber per single portion and a less than 400 calories (kcal). It is prepared with liquid fats or low-fat margarine. And no salt or sugar is added.
Vegetable spreads decomposed
Vegetable spreads often consist of a number of elements with their own function each:
- Taste, color & texture: Vegetables, finely chopped or pureed
- Thickness: Nuts & Seeds (crushed) for a thicker spread or sauce
- Binding and preservation: oil and an acidic substance
- such as vinegar or lemon juice
- Binding and a creamy texture: Sources of starch for even more binding
- such as beans, potato, bread crumb or dry twice-baked bread
- Creamy texture: Mayonnaise or Dairy such as cottage cheese, yogurt or cream
2 Crispbread slices are equivalent to 1 slice of bread . And 2 crackers also are an alternative to 1 slice of bread. .
One last thing
These recipes are meant to inspire you. Create your own recipes and use these as the basis. Experiment with them. You don’t have to follow them exactly. Choose what’s right for you.
Contact me for help with this. I can help you balance the components and nutritional value, keeping your goals in mind. Get in touch with me and book an appointment.